Children’s Summer Reading Program
July 9th – August 20th
Thank you to The Friends of the Flint for sponsoring our summer program! “Tails and Tales” is sponsored by the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services with support from the National Women’s Hockey League team Boston Pride.
Children’s Room Open for Browsing
Browsing in the Children’s Room is back, no appointment needed! We kindly ask that all guests ages 2+ wear masks while visiting the Children’s Room.
Topsfield Fair “Read and Win” Prize-Pack for Readers Ages 8+
Readers ages 8 and older that have registered for our summer reading program are eligible for a Topsfield Fair “Read and Win” prize-pack if they log 20 completed hours of reading by Friday, August 13th at 12PM/noon. Learn more under “Summer Reading Guidelines.”
Children’s Summer Reading Wrap-Up Dance Party
Drop by to log any final reading hours for the summer program on Friday, August 20th from 11AM to 1PM, and enjoy dancing to music with DJ Hermanium. Learn more about the event by clicking here!
Please note that during in-person visits, masks are requested for all guests ages 2 & up. Younger children without masks must be in a stroller, carrier, or held by their adult at all times. There are no toys or art supplies available in the Children’s Room. Visits are restricted to browsing materials and participating in the summer program. Thank you for your understanding as we work to happily and safely serve your family.
Summer Reading Guidelines for Pre-K – Grade 6
- Register for our children’s summer program online (click here) or visit the library during our summer hours to sign up. Please wear a mask and practice distancing.
- During the course of the summer, log reading time online (click here) or in-person. If you register or log reading time during an in-person visit to the library, you do not need to log online.
- Children who visit in-person to sign up or pick up materials will receive a
“Book Bestie” stuffed animal to read to throughout the summer. Please
note that these are available while supplies last and will not be held or
shipped for participants who register online. Online registrants are
welcome to stop by during the library’s summer hours to receive this prize.
- A paper reading log is available to track your reading time. Fill in 1 clock for every 15 minutes read. Each block of 20 clocks equals 5 hours of reading. Reading logs are available to print here, or pick up a copy at the library.
- For every 5 hours of reading completed, children will be entered into
weekly raffles for prizes. Tickets will remain in the raffle for the duration of
the program. Each child is eligible to win only once, and prizes vary.
- Readers ages 8 and older that log 20 hours of completed reading either online or in-person by Friday, August 13th at 12PM/noon are eligible for a Topsfield Fair “Read and Win” prize-pack. “Read and Win” prize-packs include a free ticket to the Topsfield Fair, a voucher for one free hot dog and drink at the fair, two ride tickets, a “Read and Win” ribbon, and a “Read and Win” certificate. Please note: Readers under age 8 receive free entry to the fair and are ineligible for this prize.
- DON’T FORGET! The Topsfield Fair “Read and Win” deadline is Friday, August 13th at 12PM/noon. Flint Public Library’s “Tails and Tales” Children’s Summer Reading Program deadline is Friday, August 20th.
- Reading includes books, e-books, audiobooks, comics, magazines, & more. Any type of reading counts, including being read to!
- Save your reading log to hand in to your teachers in the fall.
- Happy reading!
If you have any questions, please contact the library by calling 978-774-8132!